Heating a room for 8 pence a day

Login to rate this video.

You can place this video on your website by inserting the (X)HTML code below:

Options:
pixels
pixels
Embed code:
<iframe src="https://www.snotr.com/embed/12247" width="400" height="330" frameborder="0"></iframe>

You can email this video to your friends by entering their addresses below:

Your information:
Recipients:

add Add another recipient

Human verification:

People who liked this video also liked

Silent movies did some pretty crazy things with trains
MV Arvin Moment of breaking of the ship
Playing Popcorn on PVC Pipes
Angry Dogs Don't Actually Want To Fight
Diamondback Rattlesnake wakes up suddenly!
Playing Popcorn on PVC Pipes

Comments

15 comments posted so far. Login to add a comment.

Expand all comments

Picture of RedBulletProof37 achievements

+13 1. RedBulletProof commented 7 years ago

We thank you sir! :)
Picture of dushan56 achievements

+5 2. dushan commented 7 years ago

burning paraffin candles 24h a day? seriously? :|
"when burned they release carcinogenic toxins such as benzene, toluene, formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, acrolein and soot into the air."
Picture of MrJaKoSe31 achievements

+22 3. MrJaKoSe commented 7 years ago

#2 I dont know what you are talking about. Paraffin wax itself is harmless.

Just to show you:

Paraffin C15H32

C15H32 + O2(burning) -> CO2 + H2O

His tea lights contain paraffin and nothing more. Toxins dont appear out of nowhere.
Picture of joeman74 achievements

+6 4. joeman commented 7 years ago

00:20 8h a day...
Picture of dushan56 achievements

+9 5. dushan commented 7 years ago

#3 fyi :)
"most candles are made with paraffin, a petroleum product. when burned, paraffin candles release known carcinogens (cancer-causing substances) such as benzene, toluene, formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, and acrolein. they also release
asthma-causing soot. most incense contains formaldehyde and phthalates.
when burned, carcinogenic chemicals are released into the air, along with co, sulfur dioxide, and nitrogen dioxide. woodsmoke and cigarettes release a similar stew.
burning incense produces the vocs benzene, toluene, and xylene, which cause respiratory irritation and may trigger dna mutations.
gasses and particulate matter permeate rapidly through indoor spaces and can leave toxic residue."
Picture of orion27 achievements

+13 6. orion commented 7 years ago

#3 yes, if you are in primary school. There is no such thing as perfect combustion in practice, especially with solid fuel. It doesn't just go from C15H32 to CO2, the oxygen "eats away" the molecule gradually, and at any intermediate point, the intermediate molecule may evaporate, react with something else, form aromatic rings and so on... you get basically everything in between, and there are carcinogenic compounds in there (however, this is basically wusses crying about percentages, IRL you'll probably live just fine).

Not to mention the wax (paraffin based, oil-based or beeswax) is by no means a pure chemical compound. It would cost a lot more if it were.

At first I didn't believe this, but the math holds. A candle puts out maybe a bit more than 50W, and at constant burning, 4 candles are sort of like having another person breathing in there. If the room is well insulated (not in US obviously), it might just work.
Picture of WildMonkey32 achievements

+3 7. WildMonkey commented 7 years ago

Yeah I don't get people that like burning candles, all that wax and chemicals have to go somewhere and that somewhere is in your lungs.
Picture of orion27 achievements

+16 8. orion commented 7 years ago

#7 it's really not such a big deal. Yes, there are some harmful chemicals there, but that's true for almost anything. People lived with candles for centuries. It's probably not a good idea, to burn them non-stop, but otherwise, traffic fumes and even a bit burned frying oil is much much worse. Don't freak out over candles and then get killed by a badger. Have some perspective.
Picture of Xionbox45 achievements

+2 9. Xionbox (moderator) commented 7 years ago

#8 "People lived with candles for centuries." Correct. Then again, how drastically has life expectancy changed since we've decided not to use candles anymore? Candles can't take all the blame of course (medical progress and hygiene being by far the most important factors), but who says candles weren't also a culprit?
Picture of sidewinder26 achievements

+2 10. sidewinder commented 7 years ago

With such a heater, I can heat only my toilet.Sorry but this is not serious.
Picture of glot21 achievements

+2 11. glot commented 7 years ago

#7 The candles made centuries ago were made out of beeswax or tallow.
Picture of bendb20 achievements

+6 12. bendb commented 7 years ago

Burning candles all day?

I would be more worried about burning down my house than the minuscule increase in cancer risk!
Picture of WildMonkey32 achievements

+5 13. WildMonkey commented 7 years ago

#11 Well I'm at least 70% water, and water is all natural, but doesn't mean I want it in my lungs...
Picture of dbomber6946 achievements

+5 14. dbomber69 commented 7 years ago

I used candles in my apt to heat my bedroom and the walls turned almost black from the soot and unburned hydrocarbons!
Picture of EDMPingu22 achievements

+4 15. EDMPingu commented 7 years ago

If it works, i can't knock it. Might even be tempted over the winter to give this a try haha, gas and electricity has gone through the roof and every little bit helps.