A Scientist Spilled 2 Drops Organic Mercury On Her Hand

This is what happened to her.

Login to rate this video.

You can place this video on your website by inserting the (X)HTML code below:

Options:
pixels
pixels
Embed code:
<iframe src="https://www.snotr.com/embed/19678" width="400" height="330" frameborder="0"></iframe>

You can email this video to your friends by entering their addresses below:

Your information:
Recipients:

add Add another recipient

Human verification:

People who liked this video also liked

Why Apollo Astronauts Trained at a Nuclear Test Site
Exposing Australia’s recycling lie | 60 Minutes Australia
111 MPH Yamaha FZR by 'Boosting Performance'
111 MPH Yamaha FZR by 'Boosting Performance'
111 MPH Yamaha FZR by 'Boosting Performance'
111 MPH Yamaha FZR by 'Boosting Performance'

Comments

11 comments posted so far. Login to add a comment.

Expand all comments

Picture of thefox30 achievements

+3 1. thefox commented 2 years ago

Hmmm... looks like I won't be mixing that tasty dimethylmercury and banana smoothie after all. :|
Picture of MindTrick43 achievements

0 2. MindTrick commented 2 years ago

Maybe Freddy would have lived longer if he picked another substance... :(
Picture of ringmaster54 achievements

+1 3. ringmaster commented 2 years ago

:'( Hope she will become the last victim of mercury poisoning.
Picture of creepylonghair33 achievements

-1 4. creepylonghair commented 2 years ago

Not a very good expert then
Picture of Dennis5315 achievements

+2 5. Dennis53 commented 2 years ago

EFF U, creep, she was a world renowned expert, the work is dangerous.
Picture of Dennyboy38 achievements

0 6. Dennyboy commented 2 years ago

We used to play with the stuff at school!...:(
Picture of Thanny37 achievements

+2 7. Thanny commented 2 years ago

A drop is about 0.05mL, so three drops is 0.15mLm, which at 3g/mL in a 95% solution is ~430mg dimethylmercury. And that's assuming 100% absorption into the skin through the glove.

The idea that what happened to her was the result of a couple drops on the back of her gloved hand is pure nonsense. She got dosed with a much higher quantity.

#6 Elemental mercury isn't that dangerous. You can swallow a spoonful and come to no harm, because it doesn't react with much of anything on the way through your body. If you spend hours breathing in the vapor over a big vat of the stuff, you'll develop problems, but there's no danger like there is with methylmercury and dimethylmercury.

And ethylmercury is mostly harmless as well, being removed quite quickly from the body. That's why it's perfectly safe to use in the vaccine preservative Thimerosal.
Picture of thundersnow58 achievements

0 8. thundersnow commented 2 years ago

If she truly worked with this stuff, she would have known exactly how to prevent exposure, with either double gloving, like for certain toxic compounds, or even using chemo gloves, whatever the American Society of Health System Pharmacists or other safety organization requires, but she would not have just carelessly worked with these chemicals.
Picture of snotrfan8924 achievements

0 9. snotrfan89 commented 2 years ago

The KW he is talking is this lady: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Wetterhahn
Picture of cretu22 achievements

+1 10. cretu commented 2 years ago

#8 1997(8) was a very different time. and as im sure you know, we are always learning of dangers in life that we might have thought were safe at the time

This type of tragedy IS what brings awareness and its necessary for humans to learn, as hard as it is (injury or even death). Learn from ones mistakes.
Picture of thundersnow58 achievements

0 11. thundersnow commented 2 years ago

#10 Yes, it was a different time, and what you're saying is true. :)